Sir Henry Mitchell
A founder of the new Technical School in 1882, Sir Henry was knighted for his services to education in 1887. The newly refurbished hall in the Old Building is dedicated to his honour.
Born in 1824, at Esholt near Bradford, Henry entered the textile trade at the age of 14 at his
father’s mill. In 1841 he joined William Fison and Co; and seven years later A&S Henry and Co,
becoming a partner in 1852. By 1852 Henry had gained a reputation as a leading authority on
the worsted trade and held an influential position in the world of politics in Bradford.
Originally an Anglican, Mitchell converted to Wesleyanism, supporting the church financially. He supported many philanthropic causes in Bradford and it is believed that he donated over £100,000 in his lifetime.
Henry Mitchell served as a governor of the Bradford School Board and Grammar School and as Vice President to Bradford’s Mechanic Institute which by 1863 had its own School of Industrial Design and Art, providing technical education, and employing paid qualified teachers.
As a founder of the Technical School, Henry Mitchell was instrumental in the demand for technical education to feed the local industry and the recommendation the establishment of a weaving school.
Henry Mitchell was the first president of the representative council which governed the new institution. He and his fellow founders undertook their responsibilities seriously and donated substantial amounts of money to the cause.
Henry Mitchell was knighted for his services to education in 1887. He died in 1898.
Photograph Bradford College